The term ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) is commonly used to refer to UV lights used in HVAC units. They are touted as systems that “sanitize” the air and equipment in your home with the ultraviolet light generated by the UVGI system. It may sound good in theory, but it doesn’t sound credible.
There is a less costly and more effective way to improve the air quality in your home. Let’s examine the benefits of UV HVAC lights before you buy expensive equipment.
- Prevent the growth of mold and bacteria
- Reduces odors/odors
- Eliminates the growth of algae that causes condensate drain line clogs.
- Reduce electricity costs by maintaining a cleaner coil, improving cooling efficiency, and maintaining a clean coil.
In addition to helping people with breathing problems, the San Antonio UV air sanitizer system install for HVAC systems can be expensive to install and maintain and will end up costing more in the long run as they damage the system. In terms of improving indoor air quality without causing system components damage, there are more cost-efficient methods:
- Maintain your filters by cleaning or replacing them regularly. You must ensure that your HVAC filter is working to catch airborne microorganisms (and the particles they carry) before they enter your HVAC unit. According to the EPA, homeowners may need to change their air filters every 90 days or more frequently if they have pets.
- Filters with a high MERV rating are recommended. The Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) scale rates filters. You may benefit from high-MERV filters (17 to 20) if you are experiencing poor indoor air quality or if you wish to maintain the best possible breathing conditions.
- Make sure your ductwork is sealed. Make sure you inspect your ductwork if you want to improve your air quality.
- Maintain a clean home. Don’t place too much strain on your filters or UV lights. They’ll have a lot to do.
You can reach out to us if you have questions about UV HVAC lights or if you are struggling with poor indoor air quality. Our goal at America Air Duct Cleaning is to make sure you have a great HVAC experience and we’d love to develop the right plan to make it happen.